Thursday, December 1, 2016

Initial Comments

This is a an attempt to find a platform for blogging my triumphs and tragedies as an HO and 00 modeler.

Up until now I have been using a layout topic on RMWEB.com to convey my efforts on a 4mm/OO miniature of  Padstow, Cornwall, England.  But I have been doing  a lot more on the Southern Pacific San Ramon branch Walnut Creek station and feel it is not really appropriate for a UK website.  Plus I have been an avid follower of Tony Thompson's Modeling the SP blog and feel the need to express my own creative talents.

In spite of 60 years at it I am a clumsy modeler. I make a lot of mistakes that I painfully see only after the model reaches an almost finished state.  My latest major project is to recreate in HO the Walnut Creek (California) Southern Pacific Type 18 depot. This will eventually be part of a modular representation in compressed form of the Walnut Creek station area with associated industries that were present between 1947 and 1954.

Most of the depot building is still in existence. It has been re-located a few hundred yards south and east of of it's location when it was an active station. It is now a Vic Stewart's steak house.  Only the "Team" side is visible from South Broadway in Walnut Creek.  The team side is not the track side.  I am fortunate that 8 miles south of Walnut Creek is the Danville Type 18 station which has also been relocated and restored as the Museum of the San Ramon Valley.

This far I have constructed only an HO scale mock-up.



best

Ken Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment